Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Just around the corner

Life has been pretty full these last few weeks.
Not busy - full.

Work has had extra challenges and rewards, friends have had gatherings and celebrations, some have had babies, lots of people to visit and lots of appointments to keep. Does that sound like your life too?

I received a text this morning that my grandmother is in hospital. Now granted she is 92 and has more energy and enthusiasm for life than alot of people half her age, but still, my thoughts have been circulating throughout the day as I wait for more information. My memories return to Christmas visits and birthday gifts as a child, funny stories she told and that wicked laugh that I seem to have inherited from her.
I remember when she lost her husband almost thirty years ago. I realise how much I admire her independence while being on her own and continuing to live a full life.
Even into her nineties she visits other people in the hospital. I write to her regularly even though she cannot write back to me anymore but I know it blesses her so much to know what I'm up to or see photos of my kids as they grow up. She blessed me as a child as a grandparent does. I love the quote be the change you want to see in the world. In other words treat others how you would like to be treated. I hope someday when I'm older and perhaps on my own that someone would be interested in what I'm doing and stay connected with me.

It's interesting how we talk about being so busy, like we have no control over our lives and it's all we can do to keep up with our own schedule.
True, we don't know how some events will unfold and life certainly does throw some doozies at us. But our general lifestyle, the social events we agree to, the sports or activities we commit to, what we do in our spare time and how we interact with the people who are closest to us we have a lot to do with.

We can create opportunities; social events when we feel isolated, date nights with a spouse, family holidays, and even scheduled down time when we feel burned out. I am passionate about making the most of every day I am given. I don't know what is just around the corner. I think it is important to make the best of the relationships in our lives because we really don't know how long they are going to be there for.

As you know I made a list this year of thirty things to do and I have 13 left. I may have to make a list for 2011 because I keep thinking of fun things to do!
Whether I make it to 92 or not I would like to be remembered as someone who lived life to its fullest, embraced the challenges that came my way the best I could and made the most of every opportunity.
You never know what is just around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Hope everything is ok with your Nan... but isn't it awesome that, at 92, she is still inspiring others to live life to the fullest!
    I know the "full" seasons of life can be tiring and frantic... but it sure beats being bored!! xx

    ReplyDelete