Friday, April 16, 2010

Save a life!

Do you know that one in thirty people donate blood and yet sooner or later one in three will need it? Also, by donating blood you can save up to 3 peoples lives? Interesting facts that I learned this year....when I decided to put "donating blood" on my to do list.

Here I was making a fun list of things to do that I've never done or experienced, when I googled "bucket list" to get more ideas and found a site that had over 350 suggestions, in different categories and one was "charity work". When I read "donate blood" in this category I thought to myself, "I've always hated needles!" I mean does anyone really LIKE needles? Really?

I had two great pregnancies with no morning sickness but I had gestational diabetes. And surprise surprise, lets take your blood every chance we can to test it. Needless to say I'm not as scared of needles anymore.

Our church is having a blood drive through the month of April, the month of Easter when Jesus died and shed his blood for us. I thought that if Jesus could shed his blood for me, surely I could give blood to help someone else.

So I decided to be "politically correct" and put donate blood on my list for 2010. Not exactly FUN but definitely a new experience to be had for the first time.

I made my appointment and was told to drink lots that day to stay hydrated. I managed to drink 3 litres of water. I think that is a record!! I should have had THAT on my list....lol. I arrived at the blood bank, filled out all the paperwork and had a pin prick test to check my blood. After the all clear I was hooked up and watched for eleven minutes as my blood left me.

Afterwards I was given a yummy caramel milkshake and an apple muffin. You know it didn't really hurt at all. I was so impressed with myself that I will definitely be donating again. I have to wait at least 12 weeks before donating again. To hear how the blood is used is amazing; cancer patients, accident victims, women during childbirth and little babies who have just been born. It is such an amazing feeling to do something that could save the life of a newborn baby.

If ever you have thought of MAYBE donating blood I would ask you to think again.


www.donateblood.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment