Thursday, April 22, 2010

Seasons

Today I had 3 people ask me how my list was going.
My answer? 9 down and 21 to go. Progressing nicely I would say.

I have lots of different comments when people ask about my "list". Most say it sounds like a fun idea and are inspired to write down thoughts of their own. Afterall, we all have thoughts and dreams about what we could do, might do someday or even musings about what other people are doing. I also have a few friends say something like "I don't know where you find the time" or "I wish I had money to do that", which has me thinking on the topic for this blog.

Seasons

I remember the season when I was single, living alone with my own business (dance studio).
I remember the season when I first got married, two incomes and settling into married life, playing "grown up".
A season of one income and a baby in the house came next, "playing mummies and daddies".
Then came two children and hope for a part time job on the side to earn some extra pocket money.
And now I find myself still happily married, two incomes, a mortgage with two teenagers, (one with their own income now)and the time and income to do a few weekend trips away with the girls or a romantic getaway here and there.

When I look back on each season that I have experienced so far (yes - there are more seasons to come) I thoroughly enjoyed each one. I LOVED my babies and each new milestone; first tooth, first laugh, crawling, walking, each new outfit and of course every photo that went with it. I was glad when the toilet training stage was over but it was great celebrating the achievement with each son. Actually, I look at each milestone as an achievement worth celebrating. Riding the first bike, the first school uniform (and the photo), learning to swim and that first soccer game.

I wouldn't want to go back to that stage of life now however but I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was there.

Currently, I am in the mum-taxi stage where my children have their own social life they need to keep up with. Part time jobs and girlfriends are now topics of conversation and the driving lessons monster is taunting me in preparation for next year. We are discussing cars and career possibilities. I love that I can get up and get ready for work in the morning knowing that everyone else in the house is organising themselves at the same time without my supervision or instruction.

My hubby and I are also discussing that romantic European holiday when the boys are all grown up and left the nest. Yes I will miss them terribly but I'm kind of looking forward to that season where I don't have to cook dinners for everyone whether I am hungry or not. Dinners out for two sounds nice.

Grandchildren I see are a great thing and I look forward to spoiling them and getting to know the two daughters I never had.

So where am I going with all this?
I love change. Change is good. Without change we wouldn't experience anything.
I wouldn't have gotten married without change. I wouldn't have had kids. I wouldn't have made half the wonderful friends that I now love and couldn't do without.
Change can be a little scary for some but imagine what you would have missed out on if something hadn't changed first.

Whatever season you are in, enjoy it. It won't last forever and you just might miss it when it's gone. Some seasons don't come around a second time so it's now or never.
Enjoy each moment you have with each person you can. Enjoy life!

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Donna! I am also a fan of change and believe we all have to make the most out of each season in life. Keep enjoying ticking things off that list!!

    ReplyDelete